Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The auction I was at this weekend had a whole hayrack full of unmarked reproduction porcelain signs... these are two of them that have already been listed on ebay. Please report:

unitedmotors-repro.jpg greyhound-repro.jpg
Last edited by Oldgas; Mon Feb 10 2014 06:32 PM. Reason: remove image watermarks
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
done.. cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reported!!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
looks like they edited the listings and took out the word 'vintage' - so thats good, but would still like to see the descriptions at least say they are reproduction.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I reported both also, now it appears they have ended them?

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
good! shows they care about what they are selling. hopefully was just an honest mistake

C
C
Bryce, a quick email to me would have been nice. In the time you took to copy MY pictures and post on here you could have contacted me with your knowledge and I would have modified my listing then. A nice member here notified me of this thread and told me how things kinda work on here. I didn't know they were fakes. I went ahead and ended the auction to avoid any trouble with these. Maybe some of the other ebay sellers you guys flag would like a heads up and really don't know. I know there are many scammers on ebay but we are not one of them. Yes, my auction buys are "already on ebay". That is how I make my living. I'm sure some of the items from that auction are already in antique booths. Don't mean to be a douche and rant on but I for one appreciate a heads up if I have something that is suspect. And please take my photos off here.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I help a little with this auction, my boy Wesley announced before he started auctioning that wagon load of items that most were reproduction and that his dad (me)didn't what to see any of them listed online as real or vintage. (I was not at the auction, but I have it recorded)

I do not know who listed the items online nor do I care, but people we have to be responsible for what we sell because there is going to come a time when the public is going to get tried of getting burnt. And we will not have a market for our items.

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I said I had hoped it was an honest mistake... which it looks like it was - so thank you for removing them. Not sure what you're upset about. And I do not care at all that you listed them on ebay already - we all buy and we all resell, it is part of the hobby.

Matt... Wesley announced several times that the whole rack was all reproductions. It was heard clearly, so there's no questioning that, he did a good job. Some were even nice signs & clearly marked with a proper repro date... I even bought one of them.

--I cannot remove the images, but a moderator can... here's a pic of them from the auction:

repos.jpg
Last edited by BryceG; Mon Feb 10 2014 08:17 AM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: cdreed06
Bryce, a quick email to me would have been nice. In the time you took to copy MY pictures and post on here you could have contacted me with your knowledge and I would have modified my listing then. A nice member here notified me of this thread and told me how things kinda work on here. I didn't know they were fakes. I went ahead and ended the auction to avoid any trouble with these. Maybe some of the other ebay sellers you guys flag would like a heads up and really don't know. I know there are many scammers on ebay but we are not one of them. Yes, my auction buys are "already on ebay". That is how I make my living. I'm sure some of the items from that auction are already in antique booths. Don't mean to be a douche and rant on but I for one appreciate a heads up if I have something that is suspect. And please take my photos off here.

It's been Clearly Stated that at the Auction they are Reproductions, but you bought them & listed on ebay as Originals.
Your statement
Quote:
"I Didn't Know"
is MUTE.
Pictures posted should stay posted for Anyone searching for information on these signs at a later date.
GREYHOUND LINES
UNITED MOTORS

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Mon Feb 10 2014 01:59 PM. Reason: Added names of signs for easier searching
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've only been in the hobby for a little over two years.
In that short time, I've already seen enough fake signs being sold as originals, that I will not buy "any signs" from Ebay, unless I'm 100% sure they are originals.

With my limited knowledge, even being "100% sure", leaves me with doubts...in case I missed something.

The Ebay market for honest sellers, has already been hurt, and will only get worse, unless Ebay implements some type of new policies, that can re-assure potential buyers.

Even as it stands with Ebay, they allow all kinds of creative writing in the ads, that newbies can be easily taken for a ride.
Signs should be either marked Reproduction or Original.
Not "used", not "vintage style" not "old Style" not " may be reproduction"...ect..

So, unless Ebay does something, I know my sign buying will be very, very limited on that venue.

Thanks to all here on OldGas, for keeping an eye on the scammers.

Imperial Oil collector..
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
My thoughts exactly DB.

C
C
Dick, were you at the auction?? It was clearly stated at the auction that MOST on the hay wagon were reproduction. Wesley did a good job. "Dad said MOST of these on this trailer are reproduction, he doesn't want them listed on ebay as old" MOST is the key word. And if anybody on here that was there tells me that ALL were reproduction they would be WRONG. There was a flat with a Lee tires thermometer that had a old rusted through price sign, a double sided sign about 2 gallons of oil for $1.49 just to name a couple. I do not appreciate what I feel as my integrity being called into question. I want my pictures removed! They are watermarked with my user name and I do not want a fake to be associated with my name. I have taken them off, I had changed them to not reflect "vintage" then went on ahead and removed them myself after considering it. My reputation on ebay means alot to me. I believe that this thread has already affected my bids on the remaining items... The auction had many fantastic items, the auctioneer did a great job. I made a mistake and corrected it. Now where do we go from here???

BryceG Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Wow... what did you do, sell the sign to a friend or take advantage of a local? Cause its on ebay again...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Send the ebay seller this thread, sounds like they bought it as original, Were they lied to???

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bottom line you are responsible for what you list. You knew from the get go that some of the signs were suspect. Should have been more diligent in protecting your buyers and your own reputation.

Byrce did the right thing, pin the fault where it belongs....

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
S
S
I found one of these is my husband's collection and I nearly passed out when I looked it up in the files!! He paid $513 for it!!! It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic! ugh!!!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Lets see a picture ? Who knows you may have the real thing .

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved